I had left the hilts and greeblies looking good πŸ™‚ But then… today as I was arranging all the parts on a stand in plate… well I found that I needed to cut one hilt section in half, and also find an emitter end cap.



But this is how it all looks now so it should be good πŸ™‚ Okay I know it’s good as I error checked and used Cura πŸ™‚


 




If you look closely I’m printing at draft quality because I don’t really want to have my printer going for a week. I just don’t trust power/machine combos atmΒ ever πŸ™‚


But it’s really not that bad as I can just sand and acetone wash as planned. So it shouldn’t be extra effort to save a little filament and a lot of time πŸ™‚


 


It looks like I only have photos of the previous sets of hilts over here. Yes. I had to rebuild my hilts from scratch as bending the hilts slightly early lead to something being off by about 1mm over the whole length. I managed to do so in a much shorter time frame but… it was still a lot of work. So to find the hilts still needed work today… ugh.


But, yes, all in parts.



I believe this is actually of my final set πŸ™‚ The emitter got lost so I have put it back in the file here (with all the pieces nested) and in the file at the top (all parts in areas about the size of the plate of my printer) and are in the three files for each print job.


I used LIPID object exporter plugin for Sketchup and opened them in Cura to make sure they were all aligned correctly.


I do really enjoy this. Well most of it. Once the order is sorted and I don’t have to work in the air as such.


 

It takes 10,000 hours to master something? Maybe an exaggeration but it is many many hours of making good progress and then bad and then good, and then even worse…


But I have hilts actually curved and tidied fairly reasonably.



I have so many in progress images but none of this particular set. Anyway. Tadah!

As in the so called definition of madness. Yes I spent a lot of time yesterday trying to do something expecting it to work. In part because the tutortial I used did not really make full use of SKUs component and group features.


I want to make my hilt fool proof for printing and so I’m dividing them up into shorter sections to print only so high- they are hollow so too tall and there is the risk they will skew. This has to do with Z axis (though my machine has a steel frame- less of an issue unless there is a flaw) and cooling/heating issues. I have a heated plate so that is good.


Anyway. to make a slice. Make a square on the green axis make it a component. And then you can merrily place it through your model and it won’t move anything. Then select everything, explode curves, and intersect selection. Then you have the slices in place.


But keep them all as separate pieces before then.



On the right is me using the guide and this shape stretched some interior planes. No idea why. But I didn’t notice until I have all my hilts divided and ready for adding internal support for snapping the pieces together.


So….. I know now. I have had practice now and it means I should., should, be able to do the last tidying of proportions today.


I have been working to the limits of the resolution my printer can manage (apparently 100microns, 0.1mm) but I need to test my machine. PLA at 0.2mm is a bit chunky. I have seen how fine 0.1mm looks on the standard owl model but I don’t know it if was PLA or ABS.


I now have 1.75mm ABS so can test the machine again. And at 0.1mm


I want to make it easier so I’m trying to round all my measurements to full mm so that’s what I’m doing today. Except for anything to do with the emitter. Though I guess I do now know how to cut through a little more easily…


Oh man. What took a couple of days to get “mostly done” for a solid print is taking ages because I want a fancy one that can hold a blade.

I’ve taken the concept art of Ahsoka and scaled her to my height- so 168cm from heel to top of head- so I cropped the montral off and the heels of the boots.


And I have checked head height is accurate, height from waist to should is right..


Her “big” lightsaber hilt winds upΒ 34cm long! And yeah in the concept you can see it goes from about hip crease to above the knee.


It just feels very weird!


I’m going to check the scale on the figure because I don’t think they follow that proportion. The figure is about 125mm from heel to crown.


X/168= 21/125


X= 28.224


Hmmm. I wonder if I should just say 30cm/12″? I know one person has gone for 12″ and it does seem to be the middle ground.


I grabbed these images as screencaps, her arm and saber are approximately on the same angle, mirrored, and then in line:


ahsokascalereΒ ahsokascalere2


I used a line tool for the length of the light saber then copied to a new layer and altered the angle to follow the arm.


In both cases they line up.


And that is as close to 30cm on me as can be fairly judged.


To note, the saber is curved, quite definitely so, but I have printed out and used my ruler to compare length from top to bottom along the surface and at right angle to the top. It’s very similar.


So, now that I have a dimension I am happy with I can actually start work in Sketchup!

Profile

glittersweet: (Default)
pinkdiamond

October 2017

S M T W T F S
12345 67
8910 11121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031    

Syndicate

RSS Atom

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Oct. 19th, 2017 02:17 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios